The destination for news, blogs and original content offering coverage of US politics, entertainment, style, world news, technology and comedy.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ - Nov 24, 2013 5:27:11 AM - Nov 30, 2004 5:21:51 AM
- Afghan president again delays signing US deal 6 minutes ago
- AP Top News at 8:15 a.m. EST 10 minutes ago
- Secret US-Iran talks set stage for nuke deal 10 minutes ago
- AP Top Political News At 8:12 a.m. EST 12 minutes ago
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 8:10 a.m. EST 15 minutes ago
- Iran nuclear deal fuels anger, jitters in Mideast 19 minutes ago
- AP Top Political News At 8 a.m. EST 22 minutes ago
- Indian gays demand an end to discrimination 24 minutes ago
- AP Top International News At 8 a.m. EST 25 minutes ago
- AP Top News at 7:59 a.m. EST 26 minutes ago
- China president visits injured in deadly oil blast 42 minutes agor2VD36OBmA9%2BPWaTYzfNFTgXM0MSjesfilb9QVryrLSoxh8uMM2cGyXb0bVajvZp5tDSl9ulYfOaquvL5x5WAuHi%2FxjbKLVRaIfckjin6Oc%3Dx7lrIZe53Gnd9xq8%2FM4pTeVmiHgLGanIfcirOcgegXvV%2BU3MH0flVvZtd45OinXiHU%2BIGCfeUh%2FQENMGoq4ugPneDIFGyjeNZ3d3RNHO%2BqY%3DmvfcNseiCOJZvUMxw0z6%2FabDM%2F5%2FbG6mIuiwAShDrC2mKj9bD49Y1ma%2BOTy4lOxc8Oj1gudWuqWHPrNijps871A9jvSSbwggTKtmyzcBF%2FE%3D
- IranRon Bambridge via Getty Images
- APAPGetty File
- Filipino typhoon survivors cheer Pacquiao triumph 2 minutes ago
- AP Top International News At 4:12 a.m. EST 7 minutes ago
- Yemen court delays verdict in Saudi elopement case 8 minutes ago
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 4:10 a.m. EST 8 minutes ago
- AP NewsAlert 13 minutes ago
- At A Glance 14 minutes ago
- BC-FBC--Scores,Writethru,5Takes, FBC 29 minutes ago
- BC-FBC--Scores,1st Add, FBC 29 minutes ago
- Jason Day wins World Cup at Royal Melbourne 31 minutes ago
- Obama: Nuclear deal blocks Iran's path to bomb 31 minutes ago
- AP Top Headlines At 3:46 a.m. EST 32 minutes ago%2BDHb%2BsVmzax6cozDMtki7V5%2FVETHi2IsyXhhCR6gT8kfrLaujt3zoS13MeXUUU1H313GhxCQAqROiaU6hfjzLo7LSSDHvdaHJhytFxScTSs%3DLlGhEMu0uezNLPbSJvWmrazctUsSvaY5rUWgNEAAvpjZlngZwZ6ypzsCGGzGcBYwWHT8CrcO19LoMKraZyxYqMh7rT1O8KkR6y7QvEhnXiQ%3D2PYhj9N1kba9GE2IzgbqM1ok6704%2BQpe%2BsSoT%2FEQEkAzOU6SVuKL3Eh7igHuZCxYsJpsV97IOXjxXY9OXZKJYU7cP8uVR%2FTRitd1Ertcx1c%3D
November 24, 2013
- Today in History just now
- BC-BKC--Major Scores,4th Add, BKC 1 minute ago
- BC-FBC--Major Scores,4th Add, FBC 1 minute ago
- BC-FBC--Major Scores,3rd Add, FBC 1 minute ago
- BC-FBC--Major Scores,2nd Add, FBC 1 minute ago
- BC-BKC--Major Scores,1st Add, BKC 1 minute ago
- BC-BKC--Major Scores,3rd Add, BKC 1 minute ago
- Penner, Ducks hand Coyotes 1st home loss, 4-2 3 minutes ago
- Israel minister: Iran deal based on 'deceit' 3 minutes ago
- AP Top Headlines At Midnight EST 4 minutes ago
- Obama declares Iran deal 'important first step' 6 minutes ago
That explosion you heard this week was Harry Reid going nuclear, as the Senate voted 52-48 to eliminate the ability to use filibusters to block most Judicial and Executive branch nominees. Republican Senators hysterically decried the move as "a raw power grab," "Obamacare II" and "scary and dictatorial." In fact, it was Republican senators who forced the issue by filibustering nominees at an unprecedented rate, including -- for the first time ever -- a cabinet nominee. Half the nearly 170 filibusters of presidential nominees in U.S. history have happened since Obama -- who was accused of "packing" the DC district court simply for trying to fill vacancies -- took office. It's still unlikely any real solutions will come out of our gridlocked congress, but at least now the Senate can't make our other two branches of government just as unproductive. Ka-boom!
Policy Director, National Iranian American Council
With the deal that was signed in the early morning hours in Geneva on Sunday, the two sides managed to change course from the path to a disastrous war and put us on a road that ends with concrete assurance that Iran will never obtain nuclear weapons. Though it is just an interim agreement, after thirty years of non-relations, the deal is historic.
President, Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights
I've been asked again and again how I will be marking this anniversary. When it comes to my Uncle Jack, my father, or any other loved ones we've lost, I believe in honoring lives, not deaths.
It is a shame that the Republicans brought things to this pass. The filibuster is a useful tool to prevent a president whose party controls the Senate from pushing through the nomination of an appointee who is incompetent, who lacks integrity or whose views are truly outside the "mainstream" of respectable opinion. That we have now lost that important safeguard is deeply unfortunate.
I hope, as we remember a young President, that we will renew our commitment to building with urgency and persistence a just America where every child is valued and enabled to achieve their God given potential regardless of the lottery of birth.
Lead singer, The Beach Boys
After completing this song, it must have been 2 a.m. in the morning when we finally called it a night. We were awakened to the news that President Kennedy had been taken to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas. For a bunch of carefree guys in our early twenties, our innocence was lost.
Christian leader for social change; Author, 'On God’s Side: What Religion Forgets and Politics Hasn’t Learned About Serving the Common Good'
The church writ large in the United States and the Western Church more broadly continues to struggle with a history of underrepresenting women and people of color in leadership. These kinds of things don't change overnight.
I thought I knew where most Democrats stood. I thought they stood on the side of the poor, the elderly, the disenfranchised, and all of those struggling to stay afloat during some very difficult economic times. But, then came a website.
Award-winning actress, author and activist
I've always been a champion of kids pursuing their dreams. But sometimes in life, extraordinary circumstances may force us to temporarily put our dreams on hold. The most important thing is to never lose sight of that dream, no matter what punches life may throw in our way.
Water plays a central role in all aspects of life, from energy to food security, health and education. That is what makes it so complex to tackle. As water scarcity becomes all too real, collaboration will become essential
President of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Planned Parenthood Action Fund, & Planned Parenthood Votes
Access to reproductive health care should never depend on your zip code -- and from statehouses to courthouses to the ballot box, we are going to continue the fight to make sure it doesn't.
Lieutenant Governor of California
Government needs technology to meet the needs of its citizens, but it also needs the help of the industry to make good decisions that do not push us further behind.
Second Lady of the United States
Through the power of mentoring, TechWomen brings together female scientists, technologists, engineers, and mathematicians who can work to resolve our world's most pressing issues, making the world we share a better place, one woman at a time.
French philosopher and writer
Let's pray for taxation. Without it we would have no way to protect the most vulnerable among us, to assist the most needy, and, most important of all, to enshrine in law the principle of responsibility for others.
Author, research psychologist and gender scholar
Films are getting more violent -- more than twice as violent as they were in 1950. That's perhaps no surprise. But new evidence has revealed that the most violent films are actually the ones aimed right at kids.
CEO and co-CIO, PIMCO
CEOs and other leaders, in the corporate world and beyond, should do more than follow the news on the Affordable Care Act (ACA or Obamacare). They should also ask themselves what they would do if they were in President Obama'a shoes.
Director, Earth Institute at Columbia University; Author, "To Move the World: JFK's Quest for Peace"
Many progressives will no doubt say that I'm being unfair to the Keynesians, and that they too would favor an investment strategy if the Republicans didn't block them. I hope that's true. Yet Keynesian stimulus repeatedly takes our eyes off the long term.
President, National Action Network
Is it okay to highlight website problems? Yes. Is it okay to push the president to get these tech issues resolved quickly? Absolutely. But when did having website problems become the same thing as not sending enough help to those dying and suffering in the midst of a devastating hurricane?
Founder, Cherie Blair Foundation for Women
The Middle East is a key region of interest because although increasing numbers of women are receiving a good standard of education, the region still lags behind on the core issue of economic equality. On a global scale, the latest figures from the World Economic Forum's Global Gender Gap Report show that although the gender gap in education is 93% closed, the gap in economic equality has closed by only 60%.
Award-winning writer, director, producer and founder of the American Film Institute
We made Years of Lightning, Day of Drums so the world might see and remember what we knew in those days. And now the larger reward is that the film survives so this and future generations may hear the soaring voice and view the vibrant likeness of the man who offered such singular inspiration half a century ago.
I love the concept of 'Pay It Forward'. The idea that you can pass on an opportunity and a good deed to someone deserving or help someone in life fulfil a dream is a wonderful concept, embraced not only in the USA but over 100 countries around the world and I strongly believe that we should make it more prevalent in the UK. With life getting busier, more hectic and stressful for all of us it's easy to forget acts of kindness and helping others, even the smallest good deeds can make the biggest of differences.Rrqx8l%2BdUZFpdrKQpRdHgcl3sYIs%2FXIa%2FMkX3tSus7Gj%2BqvHG1WKg7QjNRAIkGlnZ0kM16tS4VgIj0x64KXFUSrs18n1Ya40Bg03kCINf94%3D2E0MYUBcDjZg4Aj4K1B1LOw5290u5raakb8GiEHLG%2FB%2BfzUfhni%2F5iCxu9Iu4j7GuQuAruW3ocZnkwitWsFEQtxXUJEbx1GeDFcuTXMaPhw%3DvsPb6vCn8UDRLaXIlEBSZZqh4zibIE5nhRKLQX%2BtsYnJpMV%2FeMFyJzAkGRq%2FsbKwZkLpohZy0tm%2BODqz6FpRaMV64sJxqgN2316mI2%2BMFYk%3D
More TravelOverrated Places.. Party Hotels.. Cat Isle.. World's Deepest Lake.. Charleston ♥.. Dublin 101.. 2014 Spots
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/22/aerial-drone-tour-video-clay-folden_n_4326307.htmlPaul Morigi via Getty ImagesValtteri Mulkahainen / Solent News
- Tornado-ravaged Ill. city rallies around football 5 minutes ago
- Middle Tennessee rolls past Southern Miss 42-21 5 minutes ago
- BC-FBC--T25-Idaho-Florida St. Stats, FBC 5 minutes ago
- AP-FBC--T25-Idaho-Florida St. Stats, FBC 5 minutes ago
- Saturday's Sports Scoreboard 5 minutes ago
- AP Top Sports News At 7:38 p.m. EST 8 minutes ago
- GHp0JX4ip8n%2B9LFHVWV4126ESZh0aioJRVMWju2qrGLf7TObwnVnvESWqJH6sLPkFWlY6CwoonRrj2ApXqf4CvJA2ia%2FhupbyjumnB5nTSs%3D7u5h497MrdY0J3s%2BwisunqRnHIdmiRDc%2F4imESXbC3zLIszSm9AC2raW290FpfDiiv2VttHDSN12fD%2FldDd8%2BlXcTJyyqoAWVuNvNqoby%2FU%3De1XOPpRA8RhipEV0cqgldFvi41g%2FqXKsnUq57jZVbZOJ1%2B08Vr1fY8DwAIk%2Bgr4VOauqVpfhfbV7smc1N5laWO7WXf7%2BX8MBl17Xv4pueFI%3DBloomberg via Getty ImagesPool via Getty ImagesTom Williams via Getty Images
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/23/dante-j-orsini-dies_n_4330649.htmlBoston Globe via Getty Images.
- (31)Detroit PistonsWWBT
More CollegeBest College Towns.. Hate Crime.. Deadly Ivy League Outbreak.. Another Blackface Apology
- Harvard beats Yale 34-7, 7th straight in The Game 2 minutes ago
- Boone, No. 25 Duke beat Wake Forest, 28-21 2 minutes ago
- BC-FBC--Maine-New Hampshire Stats, FBC 2 minutes ago
- Hull, Scheelhaase lead Illinois over Purdue 20-16 2 minutes ago
- AP Top Headlines At 3:29 p.m. EST 4 minutes ago
- Will probe bring justice in town's rape scandal? 4 minutes ago
- Boyd throws 5 TDs again as No. 7 Clemson wins 52-6 6 minutes ago
- AP Top News at 3:25 p.m. EST 8 minutes ago
- When presidents die, power transfer can be fraught 8 minutes ago
- BC-FBC--T25-The Citadel-Clemson Stats, FBC 10 minutes agoSZ%2FAQYOcB4GCwbQhduz9F7Af%2BzTF%2BW4Ibf3hFZgGBNLWpwtSV59BE%2F8Lgo3yAVJHtNfvJU4MjM0uSGXLJRusX%2BMypVUxzpnF
Publisher of the visual politics and media literacy site, BagNewsNotes
If the White House intended even a half-respectful gesture, they would have provided access to the president yesterday. Instead, they offer up a photo, again taken by their own photographer with a caption starting off: "Photojournalists photograph President Obama..."
If the world burned all of its fossil fuel reserves, would the world as we know it be the same? The International Energy Agency, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and other reputable groups say that the answer is no. It would tip us into a climate catastrophe.7u5h497MrdaZ8Cja5HqeipRKDja%2BuvRAWuovngn%2FcWs%3D2%2F8kePZ5k7xSLM7hip9dRU8H6rvFcplaYf6AGtB8CPY%3DsO5PoGZVrhLAelrCFhryjiGfIbUfhKtkmSqwxlU9oAM%3DZYYqHFqlW%2FrYg5cC%2FWeWOBueFgm2IHNSgrwBm6pVXbQ%3DWpxChveA1opj3Y7GVJOTjO1sJg4SWxNBtTQ8MPjzgtg%3DyTzcHVMookVisb0xbCONzx1GY7BBgfxsNbjefNmpX13TKh8kSOELrelKzN7aXQRxUmbMGPbJDGeMYNQNTwkjxEbon7ORhI7bMC%2Fm12%2F%2BeuQ%3DAg6wpSNWMZna6euPLE3S4cijPB%2BeIBl%2BOA16ZGlCmO3GfaMroQ%2BDW8x7ZvdBgJxo%2FwftSlSvLDjlCflRwj5CDNWDEjoWKOVqX1yopBmT1Kk%3DMCCTgRBmfAsse3jXOZNBd%2FOQCt1heQ4%2BBvHfRo96hYqSDT4ussYOiKrhydC46cqwksNmZigM%2BN0DO%2BwBCH%2FLlLAIMydjf0rWeOsmWj4oQDU%3DTime
More ComedySarah Silverman's Fort.. 21 People Who Should Have Googled It .. U.S.A. In 1 Photo.. #ThanksgivingFAIL
- fStop Images - Stella via Getty ImagesJoe Robbins via Getty Images
- SrirachaWayne Bierbaum/Getty ImagesMDPD
- Miami CrimeDoug Pensinger via Getty ImagesPAUL J. RICHARDS via Getty Images
- GamesGazimal via Getty Images
More BooksAuthor Thanksgiving Recipes.. Slappable Book Characters.. Self-Pubbed Authors.. Tolkien Biopic
The Secret To Eating Less.. First Impression Mistakes.. 6 People Never To Trust.. Worst Foods For Skin
- Oprah Winfrey NetworkPricenomics
- MarriageEbet Roberts via Getty Images
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/23/willie-nelson-band-members-hurt_n_4329603.htmlSmoshBetsie Van Der Meer via Getty Images
25 Top Bucket List Items.. Best Spots To Visit In 2014.. Best Side Dish Recipes.. 3 Great Job Search Tips
- Aging GracefullyshutterstockDavid Freund via Getty Images
More ImpactEnd To Hunger In Africa.. Best Fine Ever.. Sad Note To Santa.. Honest Busboy.. Building's Moustache
- Bill GatesJamie Grill via Getty ImagesYoutube
More Good NewsHomeless Signs Are Not What You Think.. Bear Cubs Play Game.. 'Batkid Rises'.. Kid President!
- VideoBBC America
More TVScandal Drama.. Who Trivia.. Atlantis Arrives.. Parenthood Love.. Fox Shakeup.. Oprah & HBO.. Girls Returns
- | Doctor WhoRobin Harper/Invision for Parkwood Entertainment/AP ImagesTim Robberts via Getty Images
More Healthy LivingStuffing Recipes.. Male Model Workout.. '60s Health Tips.. Holiday Drinks.. Happier Kids..
- | Unplug And RechargeHarlem Mepham via Getty Images
- | Miley CyrusJustin Pumfrey via Getty ImagesASSOCIATED PRESS
- Machida, Lipnitskaia win at Rostelecom Cup 1 minute ago
- AP Top Political News At 11:13 a.m. EST 6 minutes ago
- AP Top TravelFeatures News At 11:10 a.m. EST 9 minutes ago
- AP Top Technology News At 11:10 a.m. EST 9 minutes ago
- If gov't backs in-flight calls, will the airlines? 10 minutes ago
- Liverpool empata con Everton en la Premier 13 minutes ago
- AP Top Sports News At 11 a.m. EST 19 minutes ago
- Family: Sex not consensual in FSU's Winston case 19 minutes ago
- AP Top U.S. News At 10:50 a.m. EST 29 minutes ago
- Pulis nombrado DT de Crystal Palace 31 minutes ago
- AP Top Sports News At 10:48 a.m. EST 31 minutes ago
Edward H. Levi Distinguished Service Professor of Law, University of Chicago
Since President Obama took office, Republicans have used the filibuster an average of 14.4 times per year to block his nominations. That is 50 times higher than the 1952-2008 average, and more than 14 times higher than during the administration of President George W. Bush. It is a shame that the Republicans brought things to this pass. The filibuster is a useful tool to prevent a president whose party controls the Senate from pushing through the nomination of an appointee who is incompetent, who lacks integrity or whose views are truly outside the "mainstream" of respectable opinion. That we have now lost that important safeguard is deeply unfortunate. But the responsibility for this development rests squarely on the shoulders of the Republican members of the Senate, who have brought this not only upon themselves, but upon the nation. It is a sad day for America.%2F10TtrVLEgQ1UrvUCH%2B8fnOLifnSe9u07gajHwNz6%2FpheIz6NJM3KmFnpcDiqjVzKMrhBxa6chw%3D
President, Children's Defense Fund
I hope, as we remember a young President who asked us not to ask what our country can do for us but what we can do for our country, that we will renew our commitment to building with urgency and persistence a just America where every child is valued and enabled to achieve their God given potential regardless of the lottery of birth.
When my husband and I announced to family and friends our decision to adopt our son, a 7-year-old boy with Down Syndrome in Bulgaria, the news was not met with open arms. I knew that there would be a lot of skeptics, but I didn't anticipate the pushback we were about to receive.
Paleo eating, CrossFit addicted, adrenaline junkie
You are probably sitting there going "Ugh. Is she really going there?" YUP I AM. I can also pretty much guarantee that at some point while reading this you are going to start nodding your head in agreement... I can't wait for that part.
Editor-at-large, HuffPost Gay Voices
The wall-to-wall media coverage of the past few days has jarred my memory in interesting ways. I have no recollection of President Kennedy's assassination itself. I was only two and half years old. But the event is seared into my brain.
I worry that because of our rhetoric and poisoned political atmosphere that we have weakened our country; and the fracturing that began 50 years ago has developed into canyons that divide us. Perhaps that is why 9/11, for all its horror and repercussions is my generation's equivalent of John F. Kennedy's assassination.vsPb6vCn8UDRLaXIlEBSZZqh4zibIE5nhRKLQX%2BtsYnJpMV%2FeMFyJzAkGRq%2FsbKwZkLpohZy0tm%2BODqz6FpRaMV64sJxqgN2316mI2%2BMFYk%3DYCEj%2FhL0NDoglyAvEuW%2FNXnUjzg7G1wp8A8kXSyO1TPjQUBgwstf9n5TpcRgAoTFrV1TFu1qDw9SggIojlTmT0LWDNeTF8i32Q5OKfFjR0A%3DX2g6UcW6FGyCFkwgrWyHNGXZVWAAn2vtiNbJDMBkzh8y%2BIaD%2Fc1OXRqaLFRk02xG8v0CtAfOiG%2Fk5VoELdUeRpQnyV%2Fyferun0AIGIB%2FXBc%3DShutterstock / Sascha Burkard
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/23/warsaw-climate-talks-extra-day_n_4329244.htmlThe Huffington Post
More Black VoicesValerie Jarrett’s Secret Lover.. Black Friday Shopping Tips.. Good News For Chris Brown
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/23/grosse-pointe-park-police-videos_n_4327788.htmlDeb Lindsey Photography
- Gay And Lesbian WeddingsHannes Magerstaedt via Getty Images
- (468)CHRISTOPHE SIMON via Getty ImagesJustin Sullivan via Getty Images
- AFP via Getty Images
- Tahrir SquareKABC
- Jeoffrey Maitem via Getty ImagesSutanta Aditya/AFP/Getty Images
More ArtsDavid Lynch Paintings.. 15 Gifts For Art Lovers.. 'Sleeping' Subway Artist.. RIP 5 Pointz.. 'Doctor Who' Art
- Moving ImageGetty
More WeddingsGo Strapless.. Average Marrying Age.. Longest Marrieds.. Epic Wedding Fails.. Money-Saving Tricks
- Pope warns Olympic leaders over commercialization 4 minutes ago
- TV set up in typhoon city to beam Pacquiao fight 12 minutes ago
- AP Top Business News At 6:45 a.m. EST 18 minutes ago
- Kerry, top world diplomats join Iran nuclear talks 20 minutes ago
- AP Top News At 6:41 a.m. EST 21 minutes ago
- AP Top News at 6:41 a.m. EST 22 minutes ago
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 6:40 a.m. EST 22 minutes ago
- Germans take top 4 spots in luge; Hamlin 6th 32 minutes ago
- AP Top International News At 6:28 a.m. EST 34 minutes ago
- Activists: Syrian rebels capture key oil field 34 minutes ago
- AP Top News At 6:12 a.m. EST 49 minutes ago
- AP Top Headlines At 6:12 a.m. EST 50 minutes ago51loCOZdVfiZhaptBLtNoHoNCabSAyuECqzU%2BFuUroDbLSHSXSGrKHPDmWiS5yx%2BQjsvAymZcLKAfWJzb8o%2Ft8v7VCCaNOS0bFxyzBQaS1c%3D53pXgl5Cr9SZgipekJIat5bxQnTSGCYvk3PYMivBWQhNmd7gg8TAm4jNwC%2FIsoN%2BOq6h4MTYqACT1ZSfzICS6SpRGbatoFxdA72GWVeRz2U%3DLXMAzfHIrDSxUKfDOS4Hb9GQ89t1bt7r4pPjztXE%2B4dz%2BqoztGb5mVgeuTUa5gpxk9A5f%2Fvpa7QBvRpqJzC2qiR9z3V6O3T2qrY%2FhSR0zzY%3DGarry Wade via Getty Images
November 23, 2013
- JFK's Assassination Video Was Kept From The Public For 12 Years. Here's What We Saw When It Aired.831
- Former Presidential Candidate On JFK Assassination: 'American Journalism Never Followed Up On That Story'396
- Biden Welcomes Delaware-Born Sandwich Shop To D.C., Comes Up Short When Trying To Pay The Bill841
- Travelers evacuate after erroneous LAX gun reports 7 minutes ago
- Morehead State loses 81-70 to No. 22 UCLA 11 minutes ago
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 2:40 a.m. EST 17 minutes ago
- AP Top News At 2:38 a.m. EST 19 minutes ago
- Climate talks stalled over finance, carbon cuts 19 minutes ago
- Day leads World Cup by 1 stroke after 3 rounds 23 minutes ago
- Líderes en la NBA 27 minutes ago
- Vistazo ampliado de la NBA 28 minutes ago
- AP Top Sports News At 2:29 a.m. EST 29 minutes ago
- Gasol, Young propel Lakers past Warriors 102-95 29 minutes ago
- AP Top Business News At 2:25 a.m. EST 33 minutes ago
- AP Top Sports News At 2:22 a.m. EST 35 minutes agoiPlCdNbZ%2FRHK%2Bajp19vm2b%2Byz6%2BkrVJQmX72mEQzLXj2IJ2gLnVu%2BGV3KlrA%2F%2F6Vhq7MzGq3sTJwrzDPE7NSgFT1eBqef90L1ooWmLZ7VNc%3DrS04qvSG9ySST00mQbTEYJ%2B%2BhQElyTTlE7m8V6cg6UhZztJH9WRbeXC06DAVjYWvlotelpgzJEh0phUbsEREvnEcA2WIfRlRKCr4vhuOvrw%3Dxyy%2Fy%2F4PcLsdODbfXkcJpAWhZSw%2Bus7O%2FZjim%2Fi0RaLtw0SyRGWjBMW0N0qkdZFkQnDbzB5WLZrVdmSUGfC3cBOEFn5rlGn5OxGfBsIc9WY%3DROBYN BECK via Getty Images
- APODD ANDERSEN via Getty Images
- Climate ChangeMercy For AnimalsMarc Wells/YouTubeFubirai
More TravelOverrated Places.. Vegas No-Nos.. Coolest Subways.. 2014 Trips.. World's Deepest Lake.. Shopping Cities
- (54)Jack Andersen via Getty Images
Image by Catherine MacBride via Getty Images
Historian, NYU professor
I met John Kennedy twice. He came to meet with the political science majors in 1958, and we spent an hour or so talking about the issues facing the nation. He was charming, handsome, funny, well-informed.4Fxf1SjRW8uXzYaPwKhEFoAAsOXGgIdb2THAjMQItB7YyBAyaacyyqdqvaT%2Bu5N1gPxPPmQt56pWRhirmt3EhWSGXIQmwOvqsi6CUxTA4Xo%3Dox0uAFLiCsgzdk6IOAal%2BGdGpb6tmI%2F7AzQ%2BvxivOlGkLjHwDF17JN9bmg14dOcvvM41DhhYMANyCzZz67Kr6vckNdNv1aqm4gfpWszyaZs%3DqQh%2FhQ2i%2BX9K5zVhvNdXseVu7m380NODZ4ExytRJzdY8PCiQuvI826IzswImNz%2BsPuA8FpPbwsH6Idd4j8R1KtBUVTHegOz6L8cRtjPrKKg%3DChristoph Hetzmannseder via Getty Images
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/22/teddy-bear-bomb_n_4327317.htmlBloomberg via Getty Images
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/22/twitter-forward-secrecy_n_4326599.htmlAaron Vincent Elkaim via Getty Images
- YouTube/Marc WellsBEN STANSALL via Getty Images
- (15)Pool via Getty Images
- LAX ShootingJohn Chillingworth via Getty Images
- ChristianityCBS LA
- Strange CrimeHuffPost Live
- HuffPost LiveNonemoodboard via Getty Images
VevoBenjamin MillerLiam Norris via Getty Images
- JFK's Assassination Video Was Kept From The Public For 12 Years. Here's What We Saw When It Aired.536
- Former Presidential Candidate On JFK Assassination: 'American Journalism Never Followed Up On That Story'396
- Biden Welcomes Delaware-Born Sandwich Shop To D.C., Comes Up Short When Trying To Pay The Bill811
- AP Top News at 6:39 p.m. EST 4 minutes ago
- Marsella vence 3-1 al Ajaccio, aspira a Champions 5 minutes ago
- AP Top U.S. News At 6:37 p.m. EST 5 minutes ago
- Detained American's wife asks for his return 6 minutes ago
- AP Top International News At 6:36 p.m. EST 6 minutes ago
- Maryland takes down Marist 68-43 8 minutes ago
- Crime witness who vanished on dog walk is found 9 minutes ago
- AP Top Headlines At 6:32 p.m. EST 9 minutes ago
As I watch the footage of the grief-stricken people who lined the streets, I can't help but feel a nostalgia for that horrible time because it seems to me that it represents an America more unified than today. I can't shake the monstrous feeling that if President Obama was shot, or President Bush before him, that there would be large numbers of Americans rejoicing. I worry that because of our rhetoric and poisoned political atmosphere that we have weakened our country; and the fracturing that began 50 years ago has developed into canyons that divide us. Perhaps that is why 9/11, for all its horror and repercussions is my generation's equivalent of John F. Kennedy's assassination. Not because tragedy of assassination and terrorism are equivalent, but because the response can be, and was.5oi7UDYVoMvsyX%2FCOL4eVppsyFZc28SjPxtRdO78sLfGvoqZIi96dgWz4oMkZJau2xPYyFiehJlPYDKd9%2BaPXZ3eo%2B73pcSAJM6eukpLFy1QsZb%2FRp9r%2Fg%3D%3D
Chancellor's Professor of Public Policy, University of California at Berkeley; Author, 'Beyond Outrage'
The Republicans have created a tempest out of trivialities. It is incumbent on Democrats -- from the president on down -- to show Americans the larger picture, and so so again and again.
Night Cook, Essayist, Activist
We know that the very act of being poor guarantees that we will never not be poor. It doesn't give us much reason to improve ourselves.
Senior Vice President for Strategic Initiatives, Save the Children
Today marks the 50th anniversary of President Kennedy's death, yet just 10 days ago, Jeanne and I were celebrating with my cousin Caroline Kennedy as she was sworn in as Ambassador to Japan.
Professor of political management and director of the Graduate School of Political Management, George Washington University
Central to the Kennedy ideal is the idea of self-sacrifice for the greater good. In this day of political intransigence and not only inter-party, but also intra-party strife, blame seems to supplant earnest dialogue, and Kennedy's call appears long forgotten.
As I write this, it is 50 years and two hours since I heard five bells ring on the UPI wire, turned around and discovered that John F. Kennedy had been shot.
President and CEO, the United Nations Foundation
One of the reasons we need a "Plan B for business" is that companies today need to find ways to work together, to drive well-being for all and conserve the earth's precious resources.
Food and travel writer
My bordering-on-obsessive hatred of "foodie" is really about the culture it's perpetuating. That said, the word itself is infantile, idiotic, and meaningless, and makes me want to poke my eyes out with a larding needle. Can't people just say they love food?RF08Csdg7pfLZCpszTsF%2FNv7H28p14FzQpDzqNIfjp4lWw%2BfX9nVHm2gK7PvM02I53RdMh7hwLGChg0NyKAhB5lkpPLlY9kc7Sehy0P5rbE%3DtbpPSAnz54f2oSpTbK8DhCXlPutDlOwtmG%2BYPJr1W906kvJif0euOxlOA%2BNBRiFuGCD%2BcyuiWAAWHMK5ANI%2FwpgIL93x4gTYrwExj3n6w0E%3DRsjo3poUkql2p5NRwfrwmoFizoif4BaytGEbwhZoxkejIifRJbPefHixpg1U1vaC2aX0hjN3ORiA8UULXDCSWXEvYh6bIFvDlbTvAlIG%2Bt8%3D
- Katie Couric- via Getty Images
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/22/jfk-nikita-khrushchev_n_4325741.htmlMandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images
- (1,056)Mark Wilson via Getty Images
- (231)National Archaeology Centre / AFP / Getty Images
- ColoradoJeoffrey Maitem via Getty Images
- (13)Gates Foundation via Facebook
- APTom Fullum via Getty ImagesPNC via Getty Images
- Mexico's Drug WarGarry Wade via Getty ImagesTetra Images via Getty Images
- Thanksgiving RecipesASSOCIATED PRESS
Drinking Habits Predict Divorce.. #1 Divorce Cause.. Optimism Bad For Marriage.. Don't Marry For Love
- SexJohn Rensten via Getty Images
More Healthy LivingStuffing Recipes.. Male Model Workout.. '60s Health Tips.. Eat On $6 A Day.. Happier Kids.. Aesop
- Emotional IntelligenceCNN
More CrimeProstitute Killings.. Father, Sons Dead, Woman Missing.. 2 Missing, 2 Mysteries.. Teen Slit Teacher's Throat
- (144)ABCMatthieu Paley via Getty Images
More TravelOverrated Places.. 2014 Trips.. Cool Subways.. Odd MickeyDs.. Airport De-Stressers.. Shopping Cities
- Courtney StoddenKevin Hoth
- ColoradoTakePart LiveTyler Shields
- (71)Andrew H. Walker via Getty Images
More Gay VoicesSchool Set To Ban Students With LGBT Family Members.. Next State To Pass Gay Marriage Is..?
- ASSOCIATED PRESSGetty Images
Princess Takes Risk.. The 5 Steps Of Going Out.. Victoria On Sale.. Kendall Scores Big.. GAME-CHANGER
- | The Beauty PageYouTube
HIMYM 200th.. Major Scandal Twist.. NCIS Record.. Big Bang Reveal.. HBO's Newest Star.. Dads Canceled?